Although general insurance is a relatively new idea in India, it is developing quickly due to the various travel insurance benefits. In India today, unlike in the past, people invest in health, motor, home, and other types of insurance in addition to life insurance policies, using their hard-earned money.
So what is it about travel insurance that has everyone so interested? Why is a traveller’s tour insurance now just as crucial to him as his passport, ticket, or money bag?
Let’s examine a few of the various insurance coverage areas:
- Medical Costs: If the insured experiences an emergency during his trip, such as an illness, disease, or injury, his travel insurance policy will cover the costs of medical care, including outpatient and inpatient care, transportation costs, lab test costs, and repatriation of mortal remains in case of passing away.
- Dental Care: A medical expense like dental work can be very taxing on your finances. So much so that dental care abroad could put you out of business; the cost of dental care while travelling is typically covered by travel insurance, so those who have it need not worry about such a cost. You should check with your travel insurance, though, as it might not cover the costs if your only reason for travelling is to receive dental care.
- Passport Loss: What would you do if you misplaced your passport while travelling? If you have travel insurance, you shouldn’t worry too much. If you lose your passport while travelling, most general insurance companies will cover the cost of getting a replacement or new passport.
- Baggage Loss: Nearly all general insurance companies offer travel insurance, including compensation for lost checked luggage. Additionally, you can inquire about your travel insurance’s protection against delayed delivery of checked baggage.
- Personal Accidents: One would prefer not to consider the possibility of an accident while travelling. However, travel insurance providers do take this aspect of life into account. Any travel insurance policy will typically offer protection and coverage for any accidental injuries that may occur while the insured is travelling. The insurance company must pay the insured amount under the policy in the event of a passing away caused by an accident.
- Financial Emergency Assistance: Your trip insurance will cover the costs if you become a victim of theft, mugging, robbery, or money laundering.*
- Trip Cancellation: An overseas travel insurance policy stands to pay out the sum insured if your trip is cancelled due to an unforeseen illness, bad weather, an airline technical issue, etc.
- Home Burglary: If your Indian home is broken into while on vacation, your travel insurance will pay you the insured amount as compensation for your loss.*
It is crucial to remember that various insurance companies will offer different coverage plans. The compensation cannot exceed the insured amount if you submit a claim. Travel insurance can be a lifesaver in an emergency, but you need to read the policy wording before purchasing to avoid it becoming a nightmare while you are away.
Standard T&C apply.
All savings are provided by the insurer as per the IRDAI approved insurance plan. Standard T&C apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.